- Written by experts for experts;
- Based on original research or intellectual inquiry;
- Provides citations for all sources used;
- Is usually peer reviewed prior to publication.
- Written for the general public in a less formal tone;
- Report on research but don't do the research themselves;
- Usually dependent on heavy advertising;
- Might be fact-checked.
-- Source and further reading
Which kind of source should you use?
Depends on the following:
- The topic you're discussing;
- The goal of the speech;
- And the audience for your speech.
Consult your instructor and your syllabus for requirements on the type and number of sources.